If you’ve been around us in the past year, you’ve probably heard us talking up 30-day program for creating your book proposal. But what you may not know is what it entails. Far be it from us to assume so we thought we’d break down what exactly we do in our all-day workshop.
First of all, let’s say right up front that you’ll leave with a clear plan for a proposal that publishers and agents want. In a recent workshop, we had someone say, “I went from feeling doomed to feeling excited.” She was excited because she could break down the process into doable chunks and she could see a light at the end of her publishing dream tunnel. Here’s how it works. During our all-day workshop, learn how to build your proposal with a doable 4-part program:
Part 1: Research & Refine Your Idea
Develop a winning book idea that will rise out of the slush pile. You will:
- Hone a viable nonfiction or fiction idea
- Learn how to research the marketplace and competition
- Brainstorm formats
- Develop a publisher and agent wish list
Part 2: Sell Your Book—and Yourself
Create a killer author platform and marketing plan that will demand attention. You will:
- Uncover the many strengths and attributes that you can bring to the table as an author
- Learn how to leverage social media and other venues to build a strong platform
- Brainstorm a robust and creative marketing plan for your title
Part 3: Craft Compelling Copy
Focus your proposal with a great title and introduction, and reel in editors and agents with compelling text. You will:
- Develop a strong opening pitch
- Learn how to create a complete, detailed outline and on-point sample text
Part 4: Submit Your Proposal
Lastly, create a savvy final package and target the right publisher. Learn how to:
- Draft an arresting query letter
- Develop your submission list for agents or publishers
- Discover the pros and cons of self-publishing
- Get a basic grasp of advances and royalties
- Put the final touches on your proposal submission.
Wait. It gets better. Included in the $299 workshop is the Publishing Toolkit: A Hands-on Resource for Burgeoning Authors. This 100+ page binder—a $99 value!—is filled with all the notes and materials to develop your successful proposal from start to finish—including step-by-step advice, helpful exercises and worksheets, key information on creating a targeted submission list, and real sample proposals that have sold to publishers.
Rad, right? We want you to nab that brass ring of a book deal in 2013. Register here for our Feb. 9 workshop and you’ll be well on your way to publication.